- Poultry and eggs are Kentucky’s #1 agriculture commodity.
- Kentucky raised over 1.2 billion eggs in 2015.
- It takes 21 days for a chicken egg to hatch and 28 days for turkey and duck eggs to hatch.
- The turkey is native to North America.
- Over 45 million turkeys are eaten during Thanksgiving in the United States.
- There is NO nutritional difference between a brown egg and a white egg.
- Chickens and turkeys are omnivores—they’ll eat green plants, grain, seeds, insects, and even small mice or lizards.
- A mother hen turns her egg about 50 times a day!
- If a chicken has red ear lobes, it will lay brown eggs; white ear lobes result in white eggs.
- The term poultry refers to birds raised for meat, eggs, feathers, or work (homing pigeons).
- Other birds that can be raised include geese, ducks, pheasants, ostriches, emus, rheas, pigeons, and quail).
- Turkey Terminology:
- Jake—young male turkey
- Poult—young baby turkey
- Hen—adult female turkey
- Tom—adult male turkey (also called a gobbler)
- Jenny—young female turkey
- Chicken terminology:
- Layer-hen used to lay eggs
- Broiler—chickens used for meat
- Hen—female chicken over one year of age
- Pullets—young female chicken less than one year old
- Rooster—male chicken over one year of age
Video - Kentucky Farms Feed Me
This video showcases two Kentucky farms that raise poultry (turkeys and chickens). They talk about caring for the birds and show the differences in raising poultry for local customers and/or groceries and restaurants.
Corresponding Activities - Primary | Intermediate | Secondary
You can also view it here - http://www.kyfarmsfeedme.com/poultry.htm.
Lessons & Activities
Life Cycle of a Chicken
Five Little Chickens Unit
Match the Eggs - Counting Eggs
Hen and Chick Drawing Activity
Build a Turkey with Shapes
Chicken Life Cycle and More
Chicken Life Cycle Vocabulary Cards
Chicken Life Cycle Wheel
A Rafter of Turkeys - Turkey Life Cycles
Chicken Egg Labeling
Egg Anatomy Printable
Egg Dissection Lab
Chicken Life Cycle
Egg Hatching and Observation Booklet
Egg Labeling Diagram
How a Hen Makes an Egg Info Sheet
Poultry Science Experiments
Chicken Wing Dissection Lab
Click on the photos for purchase information: